This post may contain affiliate links, if you'll make a purchase, we may earn some commission without extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting.
Nowadays in hectic routine, no one has time to take proper care of themselves. People usually take care of their skin but they often ignore the state of the hair. It is one of the main issues nowadays and people want to get rid of dandruff fast.
Almost daily new companies are coming in the market with several anti-dandruff products because there is a dramatic increase in the occurrence of dandruff all over the world.
But one should know about the product that whether that product helps to get rid of dandruff or not and make your self-sure that this product will not harm your scalp and hair health.
As I’m talking about dandruff, I know that many questions arise in your mind such as:
- What is dandruff?
- Is dandruff a disease?
- What is the main cause of dandruff?
- How can you treat Dandruff?
In the United States, most people are using this Dry Scalp Treatment to get rid of dandruff super fast.
In my article, I will discuss all these points one by one and by the end of my article, you’ll be able to use your favorite home remedy to get rid of dandruff fast.
Let’s get started…
What is dandruff?
In medical point of view, dandruff is also known as pityriasis capitis or seborrheic dermatitis which is the flaking of dead skin cells from the scalp or chronic noninflammatory scaling of the scalp.
Skin cells are formed constantly on the scalp so flaking is common but when the skin cell flaking more rapidly than normal so dandruff occurs in this case.
Although it’s non-dangerous, people feel awkward and the scalp looks unhealthy because of dandruff.
Causes of Dandruff
There are many reasons by which dandruff occur such as:
- Unhealthy diet
- UV dangerous
- Climatic Change
- Increased production of sebaceous glands.
- Adults with a high level of androgen production.
- Harsh shampoo usage.
- Dryness of skin.
- Genetic abnormalities.
- Excessive use of chemical-rich products.
- Excessive usage of hair straightener and hairdryer.
Natural Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dandruff Fast
1. Coconut Oil
- Encompasses lauric, capric and caprylic acid (medium chain fatty acids), which help coconut oil to enter deep into your hair scalp and shaft and nourishing your hair with different minerals, vitamins.
- Enriched with antioxidants.
- Contain different properties like antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial which protect the scalp from different infections.
- It acts as an excellent conditioner because it is free of different dangerous chemical which increases the chance of dandruff and hair damaged.
- It also improves circulation of blood when massaging your scalp.
- Act as a natural sunscreen, protect hair from dangerous sun rays and dirt.
- It also prevents hair from lice.
- Warm at least 1 tbsp of coconut oil.
- Put on the warm coconut oil to your scalp and massage gently with the help of your fingers tips.
- Cover your hair and scalp with a shower cap for overnight.
- Then in morning, remove the cap and wash your hair with Luke warm water and regular shampoo.
- To get rid of dandruff, use this remedy frequently.
- In a small bowl squeeze half lemon and add few drops of coconut oil.
- Mix them slightly.
- Rub your scalp for 15 minutes with this mixture.
- Leave it for at least 20 minutes
- Clean your hair with warm water and mild shampoo.
- Follow this procedure 2-3 times per week.
2. Olive oil, Almond oil, and Coconut oil
- All of the 3 oil has that capacity to get rid of dandruff.
- It protects the scalp from several infections which are the cause of dandruff.
- Improves blood circulation to the scalp.
- Give shiny, dandruff free, and healthy hair.
- In a pan take 2 tbsp of olive oil, almond oil, and coconut oil.
- Warm up all of the oils.
- Massage it into your dry scalp for 15 minutes.
- Covered your head with a warm towel.
- Let it sits for 30 minutes.
- Wash out.
- Repeat this method twice weekly to get rid of dandruff.
3. Tea Tree Oil
- Contain anti-fungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, germicide and antiseptic properties.
- Protect scalp from fungal, bacterial infection and scalp from redness and itchiness.
- Because of excessive sebum production, the hair follicle becomes clogged so it has that affinity to unclog the hair follicles.
- It excellently moisturizes your hair and scalp.
- Protect skin from dead skin cells and dirt.
- Eliminate the excess oil and other dirt particles from the scalp and give shiny and healthy hair.
- Add few drops of Tea tree oil in your regular shampoo.
- Or you can also massage several drops of tea tree oil into your scalp.
- Leave this oil on your scalp for 1 hour before washing your hair.
- Repeat this once or twice a week to get rid of dandruff.
4. Essential oils (Cypress, Juniper, Cedar Wood)
- Essential oils are naturally antiseptic, antibacterial and anti-microbial which helps in killing germs, bacteria, and yeast that cause dandruff.
- Also has anti-inflammation and anti-fungal activities that keep scalps from itchiness, redness and fungal infection.
- Also, eliminates flaky scalp issues.
- Mix 10 drops of cypress, 10 drops juniper, and 7 drops cedarwood oil essential oils in 40ml almond or coconut oil.
- Rub these oil into the scalp gently.
- Leave it on for at least 1 hour.
- Wash out your hair with warm water and mild shampoo.
5. Olive Oil
- Regular use of olive oil will properly nourish your hair and scalp.
- Protect scalp from dryness and flaking.
- Enriched with antioxidants and vitamin A, E, and K which are important for repairing hair damaged.
- Remove dirt and excessive oil from scalp.
- Before going to bed at night apply few drops of olive oil to your scalp.
- Massage your scalp with a finger for some time to enhance the blood circulation of the scalp.
- Cover your head with a shower cap.
- Next morning shampoo your hair with regular shampoo and lukewarm water.
- To get rid of dandruff try to massage your hair with olive oil thrice a week.
- Take fresh leave of aloe vera.
- Remove gel from leave.
- Now in a bowl take fresh aloe vera gel, 3 Tsp of olive oil, and ½ cup of curd.
- Mix them properly.
- Massage this mixture into your hair and the scalp.
- Let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with water.
- To get rid of dandruff repeat this procedure twice per week.
- Take ginger root
- Grind ginger root finely.
- Extract juice by straining ground ginger root in cheesecloth.
- Now in extracted juice add few drops of lemon juice and olive oil.
- Mix properly.
- Rub this paste into scalp by using fingertips.
- Leave it on for at least 40 minutes.
- Wash out with Luke warm water and anti-dandruff shampoo.
- Repeat this 3 times a week to get the benefit.
- Mix 1 Tsp of black pepper and 3 tsp of olive oil.
- Massage your scalp with this mixture in a circular motion.
- Leave it overnight.
- Next morning, wash your head with regular shampoo.
- Repeat every time before taking shower until you get rid of dandruff.
6. Radish Oil
- Radish has antifungal properties by which it treats several fungal infections of scalp because it contains the majority of enzymes such as esterase’s, amylase, diastase and myrosinase which are important for that treatment.
- These enzymes are helpful to treat other substance like viruses and parasite.
- Reduce the production of excessive sebum production.
- Boil ½ kg curry leaves in water sufficient amount of water.
- Once the water dries add radish oil and fry until leaves burn.
- Remove burn leaves and collect oil.
- After collecting oil, add 2-3 crushed cloves in oil and mix properly.
- Store this oil in an empty bottle, and put it under the sun for 1 week.
- Massage your scalp every day with this oil.
- Rinse hair with shampoo having selenium
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Has antibacterial properties and because of this property, it destroys the bacterial and fungal growth that causes dandruff.
- Also, moderates the inflammation of the scalp because of anti-inflammatory activity.
- Acidic in nature and because of acidic nature it repairs the scalp moisture, which sequentially controls the fungal growth on the scalp.
- Remove excessive oil and dirt from the scalp.
- It is chemical free so you can use on daily basis without any fear.
- Several enzymes are present in apple cider vinegar that opening the blocked hair follicles.
- For this treatment, you need 2 Tbsp of water and apple cider vinegar.
- In a small bowl take equal quantity of both ingredients.
- Mix b both ingredients properly.
- Apply this mixture to your scalp and hair.
- Massage your scalp and hair.
- Wait for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes rinse your hair with clean water.
- Do not use shampoo for washing hair.
- Repeat this procedure twice or thrice a week to get rid of dandruff.
8. White Vinegar
- Acidic property of vinegar is very good for treating dandruff.
- The main cause of dandruff is dead skin cells and white vinegar has that capability to remove dead skin cells from the scalp.
- Enriched with potassium and different enzymes that treat itchy scalp and dandruff
- Balancing the pH of the scalp and decrease the growth of bacteria and yeast-like fungi which cause dandruff.
- Enhance the blood circulation that gives healthy scalp and hair.
- For this treatment, you need 2 cups of water and half cup of vinegar.
- Mix both ingredients in a bowl.
- Wash your hair with this solution, after shampooing your hair.
- Take one banana and peel it.
- Mash that banana and add 2 cups of vinegar.
- Mix the mixture and make a smooth paste.
- Rub this mixture on your hair.
- Leave it on your hair for at least 30 minutes.
- Rinse your hair well with water.
- Repeat this procedure once a week until you get rid of dandruff.
- In 200 ml chamomile tea (without milk), add 1 tbsp of white vinegar.
- Wash your hair with this solution.
- Leave this solution on your hair for 10 minutes.
- Rinse it well with lukewarm water.
9. Baking Soda
- Eliminates the additional sebum which is produced by the scalp.
- Act as a natural antiseptic, it protects the scalp from a fungal infection which is caused by dandruff.
- It is also helpful in balancing scalp pH.
- Also, contain anti-inflammatory property protect skin from itchiness
- Wet your hair.
- Take a handful of baking soda.
- Gently massage your hair with baking soda.
- Leave it on your scalp for 20 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with simple warm water.
- Don’t use shampoo on your hair when you are doing this procedure.
- To get rid of dandruff try to repeat this treatment twice a week.
- Helpful in eliminating dead skin cells from the scalp.
- It also reduces the production of excessive sebum and unclogged the hair follicles.
- Act as an excellent moisturizer
- Also, absorb surplus oil which protects hair from
- Rub your scalp with salt.
- Massage your scalp for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash and shampoo your hair as usual.
- It is a natural antifungal antiseptic ingredient.
- Improves blood circulation in the scalp.
- It nourishes hair and improves the health of hair
- Contain several compounds like vitamin, magnesium, calcium, potassium, and iron which are important to get rid of dandruff.
- In 2 cups of water add 4 tbsp of thyme.
- Boil this mixture for 1at-least 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and strain the mixture.
- After straining take some solution and massage your scalp and hair.
- Wait for some time.
- After some time repeat this process again.
- Leave this solution on your scalp and hair for 3 hrs.
12. Aloe Vera
- Enrich with pectin and polysaccharides that enhance cells division and growth.
- It relaxes and moisturizes the dry scalp and get rid of dead skin cells.
- It eliminates the bacteria and other fatty substance which block the hair follicles.
- Has glycoproteins which are an anti-inflammatory compound that diminishes the inflammation and relaxes itching sensation of the scalp.
- It also eliminates dandruff causing fungus and yeast because of anti-fungal activity.
- Take fresh leaves of Aloe Vera.
- Remove the gel from Aloe Vera leaf.
- Now rub this gel directly on your scalp and hair.
- Leave the gel on your head for at least 30 minutes.
- Wash your head with Luke warm water and mild shampoo.
- To get rid of dandruff repeat this remedy twice a week.
13. Basil Leaves
- Contain many elements which are an excellent source to get rid of dandruff such as Antioxidant flavonoids, vicenin, Vitamin A, Vitamin K, lutein, beta-carotene, zeaxanthin.
- It comprises essential oils which are naturally antiseptic and antibacterial such as; Eugenol, Terpineol, Citronellal, and Limonene.
- Use for treating scalp issues such as; Itchiness, Irritation, Dandruff and Flaking because of antifungal and antibacterial activity.
- Stimulates hair growth and get rid of hair fall and dandruff by improves blood circulation.
- Diminishes unnecessary dryness of the scalp and eliminate impurities and dead cells from the scalp.
- Provides essential nutrients to hair follicles and gives the strength of hair shafts that eliminate the brittleness and breakage of hair.
- Take a hand full of basil and neem leaves.
- In one cup of water boil both ingredients.
- After boiling, strain the solution.
- Wash your hair regularly with this solution
- Mix 4-5 drops of basil oil with coconut oil.
- Warm it.
- Rub this oil on your hair and scalp.’
- Massage your scalp gently.
- Leave this oil overnight.
- Next morning wash off oil from the head with a mild shampoo.
14. Boric Acid Powder
- Another old natural remedy to get rid of dandruff.
- Has antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory activity by which scalp will be protected from several infections and itchiness.
- Remove dead skin cells from the scalp.
- Take any natural oil like olive oil, castor oil or coconut oil.
- Warm that oil in a small pan (Don’t overheat).
- Turn off the heat and add one tsp of boric powder.
- Allow the boric powder to dissolve completely in warm oil.
- Massage your head with this solution.
- Keep this solution on your head for 2-3 hours.
- By using clean water wash your head.
- Do this treatment once per week, if you want to get rid of dandruff fast and naturally.
- Rich in vitamin B5 and protein which are the main ingredients for healthy hair.
- Act as a natural moisturizer.
- Has antibacterial activity which protects the scalp from bacterial infection.
- To get rid of dandruff you need plain yogurt.
- Wash and rinse your hair as normal.
- Rub plain yogurt into your scalp and leave on for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
16. Fenugreek Seeds
- Another effective remedy to get rid of dandruff.
- It comprises nicotinic and proteins which are tremendously effective in getting rid of dandruff, split ends.
- The lecithin content of fenugreek hydrates the hair and strengthens the roots.
- Contain anti-fungal properties by which it fights with dandruff caused by yeast or fungal infection on the scalp.
- Overnight soak 2 tbsp of fenugreek seeds in water.
- Next morning grind these seeds in grinder.
- Before taking shower, rub this paste on your head.
- Wait for 30 minutes.
- Wash your head thoroughly with mild shampoo.
- To get rid of dandruff, repeat this method once or twice a week.
17. Neem Leaves
- Enrich with antioxidants, protects the scalp from damage which is initiated by the free radicals
- Contain regenerative properties through which cell divide healthy and promote growth and functions of the hair follicle.
- Also rich in different fatty acids such as;
- Linoleic, oleic, stearic acids – that nourish hair and scalp.
- Act as a natural moisturizer.
- Naturally, it has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antifungal antibacterial, anti-viral properties
- Reduce excessive oil production from the scalp.
- Make a fine paste of fresh neem leaves.
- Rub it over your scalp for 5 minutes.
- Let it be set for 1 hour.
- Wash your head with cold water.
- Onion juice contains anti-bacterial activity which eliminates bacteria and white flakes from the scalp.
- Gives essential nutrients and provide strength to the hair roots and enhance the regulation of blood.
- Peel the onion.
- Blend that finely in a blender.
- Apply that fine paste over the scalp.
- Leave it for 25-30 minutes.
- Rinse your hair using a mild shampoo with cool water.
- If you want to remove the tangent smell of onion add few drops of onion.
- Use of aspirin eliminate dandruff is because it comprises salicylates which are the main element in many dandruff shampoos that have salicylic acid.
- For this treatment, you need 2 tablets of aspirin.
- Crush these tablets and made a fine powder.
- Mix a small amount aspirin powder into your regular shampoo.
- Shampoo your head and wait for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes wash your hair with cold water.
- Good source of calcium, magnesium, selenium, sodium. copper, manganese, zinc, and iron which are essential for a healthy scalp.
- Rich in vitamin C (antioxidant)which play an important role to get rid of dandruff.
- To get rid of dandruff take beetroot.
- Boil it in water for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove boiled beetroot and apply warm water to beer root on your scalp before going to bed.
- Cover your head with a shower cap or warm towel.
- Wash out your head next morning.
- To elude discoloring of your pillow you can also use white beetroot for this treatment.
- Naturally antiseptic in nature that eliminates fungal infection from the scalp.
- Enrich with amino acids, calcium, magnesium, fatty acid, potassium which are important for nourishing scalp and hair properly.
- Ginger stops the growth of yeast.
- Reduce itchiness and inflammation of the scalp.
- Helps in proper blood circulation.
- Moisturizes hair and the scalp.
- Crush 8-9 cloves of garlic.
- Massage your scalp with crushed garlic.
- To escape the potent smell of garlic you can add with honey in crushed garlic.
- Repeat this procedure twice a week to get rid of dandruff.
22. Orange Peel
- Excellent source of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory property which protect scalp and hair from damage and infection.
- Has vitamin C which promotes the health of scalp and hair.
- Take one orange and peel it.
- Squeezing one lemon
- Grind both ingredients in a food processor
- Apply this mixture to scalp and hair.
- Let it sit for 25-3o minutes
- Wash it off with clean water.
- Take ½ tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of orange peel powder
- Mix it well.
- Apply this mixture to your hair and scalp.
- Allow this mixture on your hair and scalp 25-30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with warm water.
- Repeat this method twice a week to get rid of dandruff.
- In a blender take 2 cups of yogurt and 1/2 cup of orange peel powder.
- Blend them and make a fine and thick paste.
- Apply this paste to your scalp by using fingertips.
- Let it rest on your scalp for 2 hours.
- Rinse your head with warm water and conditioner.
- if you want to get rid of dandruff use this procedure every time before taking shower.
- Listerine has antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal activity because it comprises menthol, eucalyptol, thymol, and methyl salicylate.
- If your hair is dry then try to use any good conditioner and cover your hair tips because Listerine itself has a dry effect.
- Another remedy to get rid of dandruff.
- Mix the 1 tbsp of Listerine which is mouthwash with 10 tbsp of water in a bowl.
- Wash your hair with shampoo.
- Then, rinse your head with mouthwash.
- Don’t shampoo after using mouthwash.
24. Multani Matti
- Act as a detoxifying and cleansing agent of the scalp, promoting the growth of the hair.
- It enhances the strength of the hair root and gives healthy scalp.
- has antibacterial and antifungal properties which prevent the scalp from dandruff and hair fall.
- Eliminate excessive sebaceous oil from scalp.
- In a small bowl take some Multani Matti, squeeze on lemon and mix both ingredients with water.
- Make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste to your hair and scalp.
- Wait for at least 20 minutes.
- Rinse well with mild shampoo and lukewarm water after 20 minutes.
- Soak an overnight handful of fenugreek seeds in water.
- Next morning, blend it in a blender and make a smooth paste.
- After you get fine paste add 3 tbsp of Multani Matti (Mud mask) and few drops of lemon juice.
- Apply this mask to your full head and cover your head with a shower cap.
- Leave it for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes wash your hair with Luke warm water and a mild sulfate-free shampoo.
- Try to use conditioner after shampoo.
- It contains several ingredients which help in the proper growth of hair and protect scalp and hair from dandruff.
- Protect scalp and hair from dangerous rays of sun and impurities.
- In a bowl mix henna, tea liquor, lemon juice, black coffee, egg yolk, and yogurt.
- Leave the mixture for at least 10 hours or you can make it at night and leave it overnight.
- Apply this mixture properly to your scalp and hair so that each hair strand covered with that mixture.
- Let it sit for 3 hours.
- Wash off thoroughly with water and mild shampoo.
Work on these given guidelines to keep your hair away from dandruff.
- While shampooing your hair, don’t scratch your scalp excessively.
- Don’t use different chemicals on your scalp and hair.
- Try to stop alcohol usage.
- Try to reduce your stress level.
- Take proper sleep.
- Drink plenty of water at least 8 glass of water.
- Take healthy diet.
- Regular massage your hair with good hair oil.
- Brush your hair twice a day for proper blood circulation.
If you’ve any question in your mind then feel free to ask!